Warwick Downs Remembered: Memories of Salter Grove’s Past

The Warwick Athletic Club, purchased by the Brehanys in 1936 as a summer cottage. (Credit: The Bridge)

The Warwick Athletic Club in 1918, purchased by the Brehanys in 1936 as a summer cottage. (Credit: The Bridge)

Before it was called George B. Salter Memorial Grove it was known as Warwick Downs—a place where residents enjoyed swimming, boating, picnicking, and all sorts of outdoor activities amongst a community of small summer cottages along Narragansett Parkway. In 1993 one former Warwick resident, Margie Degnan, shared some of her summertime memories from Warwick Downs in an article printed in The Bridge, a local newspaper published by the Pawtuxet Village Association. Margie’s memories from the Grove recall a bygone time that seems all the more sweeter for its simplicity and focus on family and friends, and it’s wonderful to envision the area seeing so much use and enjoyment.

You can view a PDF of the article here or click the image below to see it full-screen.

Continue reading

Advertisements