All contributing and active members of Friends of Salter Grove are expected to agree to and abide by the following operating standards, whenever applicable.
Expectations for Members
- Contribute actively, not just conceptually, to FoSG’s efforts.
- Accept group decision-making process that eschews individual preemption.
- Adhere to agreed protocols.
- Consult with coordinator before communicating with other entities to avoid duplicate efforts and the appearance of disorganization.
Expectations for Coordinator, Group Leaders, and Blogger(s)
- Ensure that all relevant ideas get fair hearing and discussion.
- Provide modifiable working documents (Word) until the appropriate group has decided on a final version for publication or other use.
- Ensure independent backup of working and published material.
Ownership and Credit
- Any image or document submitted to or prepared for FoSG is available for its use without restriction and in perpetuity.
- If credit is desired, an appropriate label should be embedded in the image or document to ensure its transfer during possible multiple uses; e.g., “Photo: Philomela Photographer”.
Emails and Dropbox
- Use emails for discussion and decision making.
- Start a new thread when an email subject changes.
- Avoid email attachments; instead, share documents and images via Dropbox.
- The main section of Dropbox is archival so Members can view, but not edit its files.
- As needed, working Groups will be created in Dropbox and the corresponding Folders will allow editorial access by Group Members.
- Label working files with a decimal version number in parentheses; e.g., “(1.0)”.
- When editing or commenting on a document, use Track Changes and add your initials in parentheses after the version number; e.g., “(1.0)(xy)”.
- As edits accumulate, the document’s originator accepts or rejects proposed modifications and cleans up the text and comments to eliminate clutter and enable further input.
- Whenever the file changes, the originator increments the version number; decimally for minor changes (e.g., 1.1) and unitarily (e.g., 2.0) when substantial new content is added.
- Even the “final” version of a document retains its version number to avoid confusing it with prior iterations.
- Start and end on time.
- Have an agenda shared at least one day in advance.
- Adhere to the agenda, with additional topics reserved for New Business at end.
- It is understood that volunteers are donating their valuable time and are likely to have other priorities than their efforts on behalf of FoSG.
- Nevertheless, reasonable deadlines or timelines should be respected by all involved to ensure efficient decision making and documentation.
Still interested in joining? By clicking below to get on our mailing list you are agreeing to the above terms.
NOTE: Please send the message “new subscriber to list serve” to firstname.lastname@example.org after joining so we can get back to you promptly.